A LITTLE CONTEXT. A MORE CONSIDERED MOVE.
The questions behind
your next chapter.
Clear explanations for buying and selling in Chicago. Explore the journey, investigate the property, and know what to ask next.
- guides
- 20
- questions answered
- 1,582
- suburbs researched
- 115
- planning tools
- 5
What would you like to understand?
Search questions, guides, suburbs and planning tools. Your search stays in this browser.
Filters
Start with a question, or explore a buying or selling journey below.
THE BUYING JOURNEY
From first questions to closing.
- Guide · Buyers
Buying a Chicago home: build a decision you can support
A practical starting point for Chicago buyers: readiness, representation, property evidence, and a realistic route from search to possession.
Inside this guide
- What should I do before starting a Chicago home search?
- What should I check in a buyer representation agreement?
- Guide · Buyers
Financing a Chicago purchase: price, payment, and usable reserves
Build a purchase budget that separates monthly ownership, cash to close, lender comparisons, and the money needed after the move.
Inside this guide
9 questions - Guide · Buyers
Choosing a Chicago area and property around daily life
Compare Chicago locations using observable needs, address-level research, transit tests, and property characteristics without demographic steering.
Inside this guide
- How can I compare Chicago areas without relying on rankings?
- How should I verify CPS information before buying?
- Guide · Buyers
Chicago condos and co-ops: evaluate the unit and the organization
Understand ownership structure, association records, shared maintenance, lender review, and co-op-specific diligence before choosing a Chicago apartment.
Inside this guide
- Which records should I review for a Chicago condominium resale?
- How does buying a co-op differ from buying a condo?
- Guide · Buyers
Making a Chicago offer: define price, risk, and deadlines together
Prepare buyer offer terms around evidence, financing, contingencies, earnest money, and a clear maximum exposure.
Inside this guide
6 questions - Guide · Buyers
Inspection and appraisal: answer condition and lending questions separately
Plan a Chicago buyer's inspection scope, specialist follow-up, valuation response, and final walk-through around the signed contract.
Inside this guide
6 questions - Guide · Buyers
Relocating to Chicago: investigate the routine before buying the address
Plan a move to Chicago with address research, realistic visits, remote-search limits, financing coordination, and a workable possession plan.
Inside this guide
15 questions - Guide · Buyers
Luxury Chicago homes: verify the features that make the purchase distinctive
Evaluate high-value Chicago properties with attention to bespoke systems, privacy, outdoor rights, building obligations, alterations, and specialist review.
Inside this guide
- How do I evaluate the features behind a luxury price?
- What should I verify about a penthouse roof deck?
- Guide · Buyers
New and renovated Chicago homes: verify the work behind the finish
Check the scope, records, contract, inspection access, warranties, and completion assumptions of new construction and renovated Chicago properties.
Inside this guide
16 questions - Guide · Buyers
Buying a Chicago two-to-four-unit building to live in
Evaluate a small owner-occupied building as both a home and an operating responsibility, including unit evidence, leases, cash flow, financing, and shared systems.
Inside this guide
- How do I decide whether an owner-occupied two-flat fits me?
- How should I verify the building's dwelling-unit count?
THE SELLING JOURNEY
From your plans to your next move.
- Guide · Sellers
Planning a Chicago home sale around your real constraints
Prepare a Chicago sale with a defined outcome, ownership records, a realistic budget, and a workable move plan before choosing a launch date.
Inside this guide
- What should I do first when planning to sell?
- How can I estimate whether selling supports my next move?
- Guide · Sellers
Home value and pricing in Chicago: compare the right evidence
Evaluate comparable sales, competing listings, property differences, and proceeds scenarios before deciding a Chicago asking-price strategy.
Inside this guide
7 questions - Guide · Sellers
Preparing and presenting a Chicago home honestly
Choose sale preparation work by condition, buyer understanding, cost, and a realistic completion schedule, then present the property accurately.
Inside this guide
5 questions - Guide · Sellers
Seller disclosures and property records in Chicago
Organize known condition information, Illinois disclosure questions, environmental records, permits, and association material without making blanket exemption claims.
Inside this guide
- How do I know which seller disclosures apply?
- What if I learn something new after delivering a disclosure?
- Guide · Sellers
Evaluating seller offers and carrying the contract to closing
Compare net results, financing, contingencies, deadlines, and possession rather than choosing a Chicago offer from its headline price alone.
Inside this guide
6 questions - Guide · Sellers
Chicago closing costs and property taxes: build a transparent seller worksheet
Separate payoff, transaction charges, negotiated adjustments, tax records, city transfer requirements, and later income-tax questions when estimating sale proceeds.
Inside this guide
- What belongs in a seller closing-cost worksheet?
- How should I understand the property-tax adjustment at closing?
- Guide · Sellers
Inherited and jointly owned Chicago property: establish authority before the sale plan
Organize estate or shared-ownership decisions around title, authority, preservation, records, valuation dates, disclosure applicability, and transparent communication.
Inside this guide
14 questions
BROWSE QUESTIONS BY TOPIC
Find answers by subject.
Mortgages and financing
9 questions
- How should I build a realistic purchase budget?
- How do I compare two mortgage Loan Estimates?
- Is cash to close the same as my down payment?
Condo and co-op associations
18 questions
- Which records should I review for a Chicago condominium resale?
- How does buying a co-op differ from buying a condo?
- How should I judge a condo association's reserves?
Inspections
47 questions
- How is a home inspection different from an appraisal?
- When should I arrange specialist inspections?
- How should I prioritize inspection findings?
Schools
93 questions
- How can I compare Chicago areas without relying on rankings?
- How should I verify CPS information before buying?
- What makes a useful transit test before buying?
Transit and commuting
53 questions
- Are neighborhood names and community areas interchangeable?
- How should I evaluate noise and natural light?
- Can I choose a home assuming I will change the layout?
Permits
326 questions
- How do I verify what was renovated?
- How should I use Chicago permit records for a renovated home?
- Does an issued permit prove the work is complete?
Property records
55 questions
- How do I know which seller disclosures apply?
- What if I learn something new after delivering a disclosure?
- How should I describe a problem that was repaired?
Pricing a home
7 questions
- What makes a useful comparable sale?
- How should I choose an asking price?
- How much weight should I give an online home estimate?
Closing
122 questions
- How should I compare competing offers?
- How should I evaluate a buyer's inspection request?
- How much confidence should I place in a financing letter?
PUT YOUR CONTEXT TO WORK
Practical, printable planning tools.
Buyer due-diligence checklist
A printable Chicago homebuying checklist, from representation and budget through property investigation and closing.
Open the tool Planning toolSeller preparation checklist
Plan property records, preparation, presentation and closing tasks for your Chicago home sale.
Open the tool Planning toolYour transaction timeline
Organize user-entered contract dates and transaction milestones into a printable plan.
Open the tool Planning toolCash-to-close and proceeds worksheet
Compare buyer cash-to-close and seller proceeds using your own amounts and explicit assumptions.
Open the tool Planning toolYour ownership-cost picture
Build a monthly and annual ownership budget from your own financing, tax, insurance, association and maintenance figures.
Open the toolExplore 115 suburb resources, housing comparisons and the orientation map →
Use these resources as educational context alongside advice about your own property, contract, financing and taxes. Read about our sources and corrections.
